From a T-bone to a head-on collision to skidding on black ice, no matter how carefully we drive we cannot control other drivers or inclement weather. At HUNT Insurance, we know that even the safest of drivers are at risk of accidents — that’s why we provide comprehensive auto insurance solutions for our customers.


What is covered under your auto insurance policy?

When you are selecting auto insurance, you will be asked who resides in your household. Anyone in your home who is not under their own policy, regardless of age, should be added to yours to provide protection in the case that they are involved in an accident in your car or someone else’s vehicle that they were given permission to drive. Your policy will also cover anyone not on your policy who is driving your vehicle with your permission.

However, personal car insurance will not provide coverage in the case that you use your vehicle for any commercial reasons, including ridesharing. If your vehicle will be used for business needs, we will work with you to select the right coverage.


What insurance is required by the state?

Each state provides regulations as to the amount of liability coverage drivers are required to carry. If you live in New York State, law requires your vehicles to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage. These limits are:

  • $25,000 for bodily injury to one person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury to two or more persons, which is the maximum that would be paid regardless of the number of people injured
  • $10,000 for damage to others’ property
  • $50,000 for personal injury protection (PIP)

Uninsured motorist protection is subject to the same minimum coverages.

Bodily injury/property damage liability: Protects against the harm your car, or any car you drive with the owner’s permission, might do to other people and their property.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Protects against the injuries you, your family or your passengers might suffer in a hit-and-run accident or in an accident with an uninsured vehicle.
Optional Coverages: The most common coverage types are comprehensive and collision, also known as physical damage coverages. They protect against theft or damage to your vehicle and are usually required for loaning and leasing. Roadside assistance is also an optional coverage that comes in handy when your vehicle breaks down.


Why do you need more than the minimum coverage?

The costs of vehicles and claims are on the rise, but the minimum liability limits are not. If you are in an accident, it is very likely that damages will amount to more than what a minimum-liability auto insurance policy will cover — leaving you subject to additional financial obligation and a potential lawsuit.

At HUNT Insurance, we will never recommend you a policy that we do not believe will provide you with adequate protection. We will work closely with you to analyze your risk and find a solution that will provide you and your vehicle with the best coverage at the best price.


Work with a HUNT Insurance agent today.

Let one of our independent agents steer you toward the auto insurance policy that will keep you safe on all of life’s adventures. Whether you use your car for short commutes or for cross-country road trips, we will help you select the coverage that helps you safely arrive at your next destination.